Saturday, July 11, 2009

Blast From the Past - This is a journey


We were recently remodeling our master bedroom and ran across some of my early cards. I must say, this is really frightening. This is one of my first works of art, a card I made for my husband about 12 years ago.

Button Bear was my very first Stampin' Up! set. I still have him in my stash. Though I have not used this set in years, I will never part with it as it is very nostalgic for me.

Do you ever feel like your work is just not good enough? I feel like that all the time. There is this perfectionist in me that wants to be the best. I know many of you struggle with the same thing. When I see this card, it makes me realize how far I have come. It is a process. Through our lives, we continue to learn and grow.

Of course, part of it is the lack of available supplies 12 years ago, and the abundance of supplies now. But there is more to it than that. I see things differently now. I am starting to understand color and balance, and what draws the eye. I am just still learning to put it into practice.

I must confess, I am really jealous of those wonderful artists out there who do not have these simplistic works of art to laugh about. I see new stampers that amaze me. How did they learn this all so quickly? You guys just blow me away!

So, you can help me out here. I love all the wonderful, supportive comments, but if you talented stampers see something that is out of balance, that does not work, that you would have seen differently, please share that info with me. I really want to continue to improve, to move on to the next level in this journey. I welcome your insight.

I will continue to post some of my blasts from the past for those of you who feel that your work does not measure up to remind you that this is a journey. You and I will continue to learn and grow together.



Julie Glasgow
Durango, CO

2 comments:

coldwaters2 said...

Oh my word you must have esp these are the thoughts that I have exactly Julie. I always feel my work is not up to standard and that I can always do better. I am in awe of the crafters I visit and would love to be as good as them but know I never will be. I have also looked back on some of my work that I did 5 years ago and think...my goodness did I really make that..yuk. Like you I feel, this last year in particularly, that I have leant so much and gained so much and I can feel inside that some of my work is improving and I feel quite proud but there are other times when I look at something I have done and think I am just no good. I have looked at your card and find it quite delightful so thank you for sharing.

Hugs
Lorraine x

Jacque said...

Julie...I so enjoy seeing your work ALL the time...you have certainly helped me...Hugs..Jacque