Thursday, September 9, 2010

Cute Card Thursday #128 - Play on Words

The challenge at Cute Card Thursday this week is to make a project using a Play on Words (corny puns and sentiments to go with your image e.g 'some-bunny loves you' with rabbit stamp, 'hippo birthday' next to hippo, etc). There are so many ideas and just one challenge. This is the one I finally decided to go with...


I used Tilda with Christmas Tree for my image, colored with distress inks. I made my own sentiment on the computer and chose a dark brown for the color. The papers are DCWV. I did not have the exact color flowers I was looking for, so used my Copics Airbrush System to color my flowers.  I stitched the edges, added some flowers and gem stones, and voila!

My first attempt at photographing this card, I did not have the pine cone on the sentiment. I came up with that idea after I took the photos, so stamped the pine cone and took the pictures again.

Again, I colored Tilda with Distress Ink, blending several colors to correspond with the paper.


I used the sketch from Friday Sketchers as the foundation for my layout. I actually found this sketch challenge, but love the result.  

Thanks so much for stopping by today. Check back Saturday for another Sugar Creek Hollow card.

23 comments:

Michele Roos said...

Oh such a beautiful card. Love the colouring of the sweet image and amazing details also. Hugs Michele x

Deb said...

stunning card, love the layering and sweet image, hugs Debx

Barb Hardeman said...

Beautiful card, Julie! Love the non traditional colors you chose!
Hugs,
Barb

Anonymous said...

simply lovely Julie, love the brown shades and the sentiment...TFS

Rene said...

Ha! That's so cute...pine for Christmas!! Beautiful card :)

Myrna said...

I love this image and you colored her beautifully! Great card.

Regina said...

Julie!!! It´s amazing as all your work!!:))) I´ve this stamp but didn´t try it yet. You gave me inspiration to try it!!! Thank you for sharing your beautiful work!
Hugs
Regina

Monique said...

What a beautiful card!
Love the coloring!
greetings
Monique

Leonie said...

This is fabbo! Love the papers and of course your sentiment. clever with the pinecone stamp! great job
hugs Leonie

Nancy said...

Julie, this is wonderful. Every element works beautifully with the others. Your flowers match the papers perfectly. How clever to use the pinecone and this sentiment! All around winner.

Peggie said...

Great card. Cool saying to go with it.

Elise said...

Julie this is absolutely GORGEOUS! I love how you've beautifully coloured Tilda and all the wonderful Christmas colors! Fabulous stitching and lace too!

Hugs,
Elise

coldwaters2 said...

Oh wow Julie this is totally awesome the colours, design, sentiment and Tilda it all looks pure perfection
Hugs
Lorraine x

Christina C. said...

What an awesome card...love the sentiment! You colored this image to perfection.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! Love all the layers and that sentiment is just great! lol! Wonderful job! hugs, Angela

Danielle Champagne said...

Hello Julie, love the sentiment! Very lovely colors. Gogeous work.

charlene said...

Julie your card is just beautiful and you have really gotten good with your DI's
Hugs

Suzanne J Dean said...

Gorgeous image, gorgeous colors and fabulous holiday card!

hugz,
Suzanne

Janiel/ janny said...

Beautiful card Julie!!! I love this Christmas Tilda she is so sweet.

I am going to be playing in the catchy word card challenge tomorrow.LOL.....
hugs, Janiel

Unknown said...

Hi Julie...love, love, love this card!! Beautiful colors and coloring!! So festive...makes me long for snow! Pat Frank

Leslie Anne Avila said...

Julie,
Such an awesome card! Love your coloring, beautifully executed card! Thanks for sharing.
Happy Friday
Leslie A.

Tracy S said...

Oh wow this card is amazing! I love everything about it... especially that sentiment to go with it! Perfection

Annika said...

What a fun sentiment - and the card is so pretty, love the soft muted creamy hues!
Hugs
Annika